This impressive limestone Norman School Lofts building, originally a progressive-era elementary school built in 1898 and vacant for the past eleven years, has been rehabilitated into a multi-family residential building. True to the original design architect Charles A. Smith’s vision, the restored Norman School retains nearly all of its historic interior and exterior features, clearly representing its historic function typical of the early twentieth century. This adaptive reuse restored the grand limestone exterior and reused as much of the interior contributing fabric as possible to keep the historic value of the stoic building in use. Also, providing the necessary amenities to create a boutique living environment in the heart of this historic neighborhood. Major corridors, including original plaster moldings and wood floors, have been restored to period, chalkboards remain in former classrooms, and existing stained woodwork throughout the building have been refinished with historical accuracy. The original building is an example of restrained Jacobethan Revival architecture and was placed on the National Historic Register in 2015.
The school was originally built in two phases. The first phase, consisting of the center, west wing and north wing, was completed in 1906, and the east wing was completed in a second phase in 1911. In addition to renovating the original building, two new-construction wings were added to the northeastern and northwestern corners of the existing building. Norman School Lofts offers one & two bedroom apartments with outdoor terraces, pool with sundeck, modern construction amenities, and dog-friendly features.