NSPJ Architects has built a long-standing tradition of excellence in service and design, commitment to quality and devotion to create the best lifestyle environments for our clients. In collaboration, our Architects, and Landscape Architects work together to create a truly holistic design approach for all types of projects.
The firm was founded in June of 1961 by Howard Nearing, AIA and since our inception has received commissions for over 6,000 projects including:
- office buildings
- multifamily apartments
- municipal & private streetscapes
- retail buildings
- institutional buildings
- recreational facilities & amenity centers
- mixed-use buildings & plazas
- hospital campuses
- entry monuments & gateways
- retail roll-out/tenant finish
- water features & landscapes
- senior & skilled nursing facilities
- shopping centers
- site amenities & public plazas
- master planned communities
- warehouse buildings
- large scale land use planning
We are located in the Kansas City metro area, and have been involved in the tremendous growth that has characterized Kansas City. Our founders strongly believe in the importance of respecting the context of carefully proportioned and richly detailed architecture and efficient space planning. Whether the project is a remodel, an addition to a historic building, new construction or site planning, we believe design and detailing should respect the existing structure and properly blend into its neighborhood, while the public or private spaces should most importantly serve our client’s needs.
We have consistently attracted individuals who enthusiastically embrace our design traditions, and currently our team members collectively have more than 500 years of experience. NSPJ offers the flexibility to shift staff to any project, as requested by our clients.
Design Approach & Philosophy
Since the firm’s inception, we have provided comprehensive architectural and site planning design services on over 6,000 projects, encompassing a diverse range of types and complexities. We employ an energetic and creative staff of architects, landscape architects, and planners with extensive experience in a broad range of project types. Our staff takes a step-by-step, collaborative approach to all projects, working closely with our clients.
Our standard is to provide the highest quality construction documents on any type of project. Each set of drawings must meet the elevated expectation that the content be detailed, comprehensive, and intelligible. We have two designated Quality Assurance / Quality Control architects, with over 65 years of experience, who review all projects for integrity prior to release. Our construction documents are highly regarded by contractors and subcontractors for their completeness. This process results in projects with a low percentage of field change orders and a greater ease of construction.
The firm believes it can better approach a client’s needs by having a broad range of experience in many building types, construction methods and practices leading to innovative solutions to each client’s unique circumstances. We are proud of our past experience and look forward to using that experience to develop new ways of exceeding our clients’ needs.
Track Record of Success
Our devotion and commitment to strong client relationships and successful / profitable projects are core standards at NSPJ. We listen to clients’ needs and desires to create designs that reflect their personality and vision.
- We continually research national development trends, new products, and the most desired site amenities.
- NSPJ places as much emphasis on client service as it does our devotion to the creation of timeless design. We pride ourselves on maintaining good relationships.
- Our staff and team structure is flexible enough to meet the various scheduling time lines of all of our clients, while at the same time, experienced enough to handle the demands of the very large complex projects.
- We assign a singular point person from preliminary design through substantial completion to ensure continuity when implementing the client’s vision and the intent.
- We visit local nurseries and have strong relationships with landscape contractors to understand what landscape materials are not only available but work locally and have long term success rates.
We have the knowledge to represent the owner’s interests to whatever extent necessary to ensure the success of the project. The "project-first" philosophy has fostered a loyalty with our clients that is reflected by the multitude of projects we have completed with our long-term developer clients.