Architecture is an art that works hand-in-hand with science to design places where people can live, eat, work and play. As a leader of various projects, the role of an architect is to bring together the creative ideas and visions of the client and keep in mind the needs of those that will be using the new space. Our client-first approach to projects at NSPJ Architects starts with our Principal Architects. They are always the first contact in the custom home design process.
A Picture is Worth…
During the first in-depth meeting, we will ask many questions and listen carefully to understand the size, location, budget, style, and special details in mind. If you are not sure of your exact style or like various aspects of many different styles, we recommend bringing photo examples of the ideas you admire. If you are looking for inspiration, we recommend visiting NSPJ’s Residential Portfolio, NSPJ on Pinterest or NSPJ on Houzz to see our other custom designs and find inspiration for your own home.
Our Phases of Design
After the in-depth meeting, we will create a proposal for our services that provides a written understanding of your wish list and the scope of the project. A fee proposal will be created explaining how we will work together to design your unique, beautiful home. The process is broken into phases as follows:
- Schematic Design: Based on carefully considering all the information provided and discussed in the meeting. We will develop a first, second level floor plan and a front elevation sketch for your approval.
- Design Development: The design shall be further developed based on meetings and feedback from you. It will include a more detailed design, approval of the exterior elevations, and a site plan for locating the home within the property. If a basement is part of the design, that plan will also be provided.
- Construction Documents: Once the floor plans and elevations have been approved, the construction documents and engineering work will be completed. We will provide stamped and signed drawings for your builder to submit for a permit. We will respond to city comments as necessary to allow the builder to obtain the permit to start construction.
- Bidding/Negotiation of Contract for Construction: We will be available as needed to assist you with suggestions of suitable contractors and to answer contractor’s/subcontractor’s questions during the bid preparations. We also help with the analysis of bids received in preparation of the contract for construction (Standard AIA forms recommended).
- Construction Phase: We will be available as needed to consult with you and your builder(s) during the construction process to answer questions, review shop drawings, review and certify payment requests, prepare changes or modifications, and provide on-site observation services.
Our team brings your vision together with our extensive experience to accomplish your goals. We continue to create timeless designs with distinctive detail and proportion. Our work is inspired, holistic and innovative with unmatched expertise in residential focused environments.
Contact our architects in our Kansas City or Nashville offices to start designing your new home today.